This recipe is very similar to the Apple Raisin muffins from the same cookbook, ‘The Bar-None Cookbook’ from a restaurant in Courtenay BC which closed several years ago. You’ll love the zing of these muffins and your body will love that they’re wheat and sugar free! Freeze any of the muffins you won’t eat right away and be prepared for company or snack attacks anytime they pop up.
Makes 28 muffins
9cups spelt flour
1cup candied ginger (finely chopped)
3tbsp ground ginger
1tbsp cream of tartar
1tbsp baking soda
1tsp sea salt
4cups whole pitted dates
11/2 sunflower oil
2cups apple juice
2cups orange juice concentrate
1. Preheat oven to 350˚.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. In a small pot, cover dates with water. Bring to a boil, turn off heat, and let cool. Puree in a blender or food processor.
4. Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Add wet to dry and gently fold together being careful not to over mix. Add large spoonfuls to well-greased muffin tins so that batter is just over the tops of the muffin tins.
5. Bake for 20 minutes, and then rotate tins.
6. Bake for an additional 10 minutes. If baking large muffins or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
This recipe was taken from The Bar None Cookbook, a great cookbook from an even better vegetarian restaurant in Courtenay BC which is sadly no longer open.