Fruit Sweetened Apple Raisin Spelt Muffins
These muffins remind me of my home town because they come from an old vegetarian restaurant called ‘The Big Carrot’. Now, they remind me of my mom, because she makes them all the time. We can be at an airport, a beach, or any old family gathering, and these muffins are too! How can you go wrong with a sugar-free muffin! Don’t be scared by the large scale ingredients, they freeze well and you’ll never have trouble finding people to eat them for you.
Makes 24 large muffins
6 cups spelt flour
1 cup raisins
1tbsp cream of tartar
1tbsp baking soda
½ tbsp. sea salt
2 cups whole pitted dates
4 cups chopped apples
1½ cups sunflower oil
2 cups apple juice
1/8 cup vanilla extract
1¼ cups water
1. Preheat oven to 350˚
2. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. In a small pot, cover dates with water. Bring to a boil, turn off heat, and let cool. Puree in a blender or food processor.
4. Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
5. Add wet to dry and gently fold together being careful not to over mix. Add large spoonfuls to well-greased muffin tins so that batter is just over the tops of the muffin tins.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, and then rotate tins.
7. Bake for an additional 10 minutes. If baking large muffins or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
This recipe was taken from The Bar None Cookbook, a great cookbook from an even better vegetarian restaurant in Courtenay BC which is sadly no longer open.