Serve these warm with the Apple Spice Topping.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour——\ or substitute the 1 1/2 cups wheat flour for 1 1/2 cups light spelt flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour–/
- 1/2 cup unprocessed bran (or substitute with ground flaxseeds)
- 2 teaspoons evaporated cane juice sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup chopped dried plums
APPLE SPICE TOPPING :
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pitted dried plums
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. In medium bowl, combine flours, bran, sugar, baking soda and salt; mix well. Set aside.
2. In a second small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs and butter. Add to dry ingredients, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in dried plums; let stand 5 minutes.
3. Heat lightly greased griddle or non-stick skillet over medium heat until hot. For each pancake, pour scant 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle. Turn pancakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Cook second sides until golden brown.
4. Serve warm with Apple Spice Topping.
5. To make the apple spice topping: in small saucepan cook and stir 1 cup unsweetened applesauce 1/3 cup finely choped pitted dried plums and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon over medium heat 1-2 minutes or until warm. Makes about 1 1/3 cups.
Authored By: California Dried Plum Board